Nonna and I went to visit Gabrielle this morning and she was doing really well. She's kept all of her feeds down, is back up to 18 cc's of milk and even though she missed a bunch of meals this week, she weighs 1140 grams (which is 2 pounds 8.21 ounces)! She spends almost her entire day sleeping on her belly (which is why she gains weight easily -- she's not doing anything to burn any calories!) but I managed to snap a few pictures of her with her pretty eyes open.


When we went to visit Alaina, her new nurse (who I love and it has nothing to do with the fact that her name is Danielle too) had given her a baby makeover. She'd had a bath and the tube that was going into her mouth had been moved to her nose so her chin was free of tape for the first time. Alaina looked like a new baby! She's been breathing so well that the nurse also decided to give her breaks from her CPAP. She spent an hour breathing on her own before we got there and since she didn't have any episodes, the nurse said it would be fine for me to hold her. I've been waiting for this day since we got the positive pregnancy test way back in April! First, Alaina got dressed in her first outfit:

Then I got to snuggle with my little munchkin for the first time.


Here's Alaina finding her fingers:

And here we are with Nonna.

Alaina loved her first excursion out of the Isolette. She didn't cry once and breathed on her own without any issues. You would never know she had major surgery 10 days ago.
So that was our exciting day! Alaina can't wait for her daddy to hold her and we're hoping we'll be able to cuddle Gabrielle very soon too.
19 comments:
I am so thrilled for you--and for Alaina. I bet a few snuggles from Mommy & Daddy will be the BEST medicine. Nonna looks wonderful, too. I think of you all each day, and check in for news. It won't be long before Gabrielle and Alaina make their first trip to RI.
Judi Zimmer
Those photos are priceless! I am so happy that you got to hold her! You guys are always in my thoughts!
Oh my goodness. I saw these pictures and started freaking out. The girls are beautiful! I'm so happy to hear they're doing well. I can't wait to meet them! Start bracing them now for when they meet us (and by "us" I mainly mean Dad...) :)
Love all four of you --
Chelsea
These pictures made me cry with joy! I'm so so so so happy for you! There's nothing like holding your little one, especially after all those scares, and I know it did Alaina a world of good! She's a cutie (I think she looks like you)! Nonna (glad your mom finally chose a name...now how about my brother????) looked so proud. Tell Alaina and Gabrielle we love them (and Jan and Fiona, too)!
OMG I AM SOOO EXCITED!
PERHAPS I HAVE FINALLY FIGURED THIS OUT.
PRAYERS!!!!!!
LOVE,
BARBARA
YAYYYYY! I'm so happy for you, Danielle. I can't imagine the smile on your face. Your cheeks must hurt! ;-) Your two princesses are beautiful and they are so lucky to have a mom and dad like you and Jan... Keep up the strength and positive attitude... My best friend since I was one old had premature twins 6 1/2 years ago. One was 2 lbs 1 oz and the other 2 lbs 3 oz. They are doing wonderfully today. Happy, bright, healthy kiddos... Something to look forward to!! xoxox
Hooray hooray!! A feeling like no other to hold your little baby. Beyond happiness! I love all the pictures. "Nonna" looks so proud. Sending lots of love always...
What a wonderful gift for you and your mom. I know that Jan will look forward to his snuggle time with Alaina too! I think today just helped make up for all that you have been going through to date!
The pics are precious!
Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us. We are all looking forward to meeting the girls soon!
YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are so happy for you!!! I can't even imagine what it felt like to finally hold her! I am sure it was beyond special for you...and for her!!!...nothing like being in mommy's arms!!! :)
Gaby is next on the snuggling! :)
Love,
Andreina and Alejandro
Hurray! We're so excited that you were able to snuggle Alaina today and to hear that both girls are doing well. How wonderful it was that Nonna could be there for this moment too. You have many more cherished memories ahead of you. Keep the faith - before you know they'll be home :-)
Love,
Fran and Denise
Such awesome news!! I'm so psyched you got to hold her at last! When you get a moment like that it can feel like all is right in the world...:)
- Betsy
that made my night..those pictures are precious...and so are gaby and alaina. so happy for all of you on what a wonderful day you had!
philippa (and darren who is traveling but gets constant updates!)
To see all the comments (I think 12is a daily record :-) shows how many people have had all four of you in their thoughts & prayers! To see you holding Alaina was pure joy to our eyes & Nonna's, too! Keep up the good work girls - you are making Mom, Dad, their family & friends so very proud & very happy!
Love,
Nancy & Richard
Yay! What a great day for the Medinas! I'm sure nothing can explain the feeling of holding Alaina in your arms after all you guys (and she) have been through. The prayers are working. We'll keep them comin'! Love you guys.
D - this is huge! I can only imagine how great it felt to hold your little girl. You are glowing in those pics (and your mom as well). So many warm congrats and much love as always. What a special moment!
Love,
Jill, Scott & Addison
I literally cried reading this post! I'm so happy that you guys and the girls are on the upswing! You're always in my prayers.
-Trish Scott
Great news and great pics! thanks for sharing...here's to more days like this ahead!
aly and rob
Its beautiful to see your daughter where she belongs...in her mother's arms. I look forward to reading about more of these wonderful moments.
I love the perspective these blogs give me so thank you for that.
Fabulous photos. Good for you to capture photos and videos for your albums.
My son was also a premmie baby and in the roller-coaster of NICU, trying to get some sleep, and searching for information I regret that we only got a handful of photos, although it was before digital cameras were invented.
Post a Comment