Friday, September 26, 2008

A Huge Thank You!

It's hard to believe that two weeks ago today, I was still pregnant. I spent the day at work and that night, Jan and I went to our infant CPR class not having any idea what was in store for us just a few short hours later. But here we are, 14 days later with two beautiful little girls.

The last two weeks have taught us a lot. We've learned what a PICC line is, how to take a preemie's temperature and what level room air is on a CPAP. But most importantly, we've learned just how lucky we are to have such wonderful friends and family. We cannot thank you enough for all of the prayers and well wishes you've sent our way, not to mention the offers to bring food and help with laundry (not to worry everyone -- we're pros at delivery and have plenty of clean underwear!). It's amazing for us to see how many people have been reading this blog and following Gabrielle and Alaina's progress. I've been printing out all of the e-mails you've sent and the comments you've left here to put in their baby books. They are two very lucky girls to have so many people rooting for them, and Jan and I are so grateful for all of your love and support. We cannot wait until the girls can meet each and every one of you!

Here's today's update. Gabrielle is up to 9 cc's of milk per feeding and Alaina is getting 8. If the girls keep tolerating the milk the way they have been, they should get their PICC lines out early next week! The nurses also told me today that the girls' bilirubin rate is falling so they may not need the phototherapy lights much longer. Once the lights come off, they won't need thier eyes covered any more and can start wearing clothes. It looks like Mommy's going to need to start shopping for preemie oufits....

And of course, I have to post some pictures I took today. Here's Alaina doing her best "Thinker" impersonation:



And Gaby looking like Al Bundy with her hand down her diaper:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mommy & Daddy, No wonder your little girls are so amazing, with you two as parents! I absolutely love reading about Gaby & Alaina. The pictures are so adorable! The hand in the diaper, too funny!! What little characters already. You are clearly embracing every moment with your little girls and I'm sure they feel so loved. We can not wait to meet them! See you soon. xo, Lisa

Andreina said...

wow...you always get me all teary eyed!!!. The girls are so cluky to have you guys as parents...and we are the lucky ones to have you as friends!!!. I just caught up with all the entries and just loved reading all the details and seeing all the progress they have made in just two short weeks!.
I can only imagine what a rollercoaster of emotions this has all been, but I love the positive and loving attitude you guys have...and I am sure the girls can feel all even when you are not there!!!.
Rest assures the prayers are outgoing daily from the Bates household!!!
Virtual hugs to the foursome :)
Andreina