Friday, August 14, 2009

People and Pets

Well, more specifically, babies and pets. For many new parents, introducing their human offspring into their existing pet-populated home begins with a little bit of worry. Will the babies be allergic? Will the new arrivals spark a jealous streak? Will they fight over toys? Will they enter into a predator-prey relationship? And if things go wrong, what are the options?

For us that began with Fiona, our beloved and somewhat crazy cat. We got Fiona from a shelter - she was given up by her previous family because of allergies (the baby was allergic, not Fiona). We certainly did not want a repeat of that scenario. And returning two babies can be problematic from what I hear.

I am happy to report, so far so good! Gaby and Alaina love the cat, and in return Fiona provides occasional interest that has grown significantly as the kids begin to drop food.

Fiona has learned that if you sleep on someone's feet, they are immobile:

Fiona is usually nice enough to share her blanket:

I will spare you the 629 additional pictures we have of the kids and the cat. But there are other pets to consider too. Between the nearby grandparents, there are a total of 3 dogs. Each of various size and, ahem, activity level.

First up, was Putchkie. I have no idea if I spelled her name correctly - she is Bubbe and Steve's dog.

Alaina will laugh at pretty much anything that hops up and down:

Not exactly sure what I am doing here. But something along the lines of "if you bite something, please let it be my finger":

Alaina laughing again. Notice the look on my face. It's Daddy's job to be concerned:

I am 40% less concerned here, but ready to move at a moment's notice:

This is my niece, Beatrice, making the introduction. That way if something goes horribly wrong I escape blame:

Notice my kung-fu grip on Alaina. I am no amateur:

Alaina realizing something has worse breath than her. Finished off by a lick in the ear:

Next up were Tex and Nonna's dogs. Buddy Beagle has a weird relationship with the girls. That is if you call slinking away whenever he sees them a "relationship." My theory is that his super sensitive nose makes his interaction with them the equivalent of sitting first row at a heavy metal concert.

But even Buddy beagle has had a few fun moments with the girls:

And finally, there is Koufax, the giant white German Shepherd. A very friendly dog, with an instinct to herd:

I am sure things will get a lot more interesting once Gaby and Alaina are able to walk and tackle. But for now all is good!


6 comments:

Henny said...

Jan,

I think you have an inborn talent as a comedy writer.

Andreina said...

I love all the pictures!!! My favorite are the last two with the big white shepperd!!! What a cute dog and you can just tell he's so loving :)
I agree, returning two babies would habe been problematic so I'm glad things are working out with Fiona! I hope we have the same luck with Chepe!

Mad Fusion Media said...

Koufax is way cool. Makes me want a shepherd. But picking up its poop would require both hands. No way. Got enough feces to clean up right now.

Carrie said...

Really, I agree with Henny & wish you would write more often! We check all the time for photos and humor, what a great blog! Looks like you are having such a fun summer with the girls, they get more beautiful every single day!!! Hope you are all doing great, lots of love! Carrie & Tom

Mad Fusion Media said...

Thanks for all the kind words folks!

Mad Fusion Media said...

BTW anyone considering adopting a cat or dog in NYC, please consider Bideawee. They are great!

http://www.bideawee.org/index.php