Saturday, August 22, 2009

Prayers for Annaleigh

I'm a member of two online communities of mommies. They're an invaluable source of advice and support, and I have made some really good friends. You may think it's odd that I call people I've never met face-to-face “friends” but these wonderful women have been a huge help to me over the last two years. When I went into labor 12 weeks early, it was terrifying, but because I knew some of my other MoM (Moms of Multiples) friends had delivered around the same time and their babies had been fine, it gave me hope. When we were faced with the overwhelming NICU experience, other preemie moms offered suggestions about how to deal with it. Yes, our "real life" friends and family have always been there for us but there's tremendous comfort in talking to people who've been through the same thing.

One of the MoMs I "know" delivered her triplets about a month ago at 25.5 weeks (three and a half months early). They've been doing wonderfully and I was so happy to read on Thursday that the littlest one, Annaleigh, was off her CPAP. I remember well how much those little victories mean and I knew her parents, Brooke and Joe, must have been over the moon. But yesterday, when I checked their blog, I saw that things had taken a sudden change for the worse. Annaleigh had been diagnosed with NEC and rushed to surgery.

If you read back in our blog, you'll see that we, too, were overjoyed with Alaina's progress only to be completely shocked when she was diagnosed with a critical case of NEC. Reading that Annaleigh was going through the same thing was devastating. I immediately felt sick to my stomach knowing all too well the terror, pain and helplessness that Brooke and Joe must have been feeling at that very moment. You can try to imagine what it's like to be faced with the prospect of losing a child but until you're sobbing in a bathroom, bargaining with God to please let your baby live, trust me - nothing you can dream up would even come close.

We had no idea at the time how severe Alaina's NEC was, although when the surgeon told us he wouldn't let her die on the table, we should have gotten a clue. Her doctors (at one of the best NICUs in the country) are just now admitting to us that her case was the worst they'd seen in years. Based on the odds, she shouldn't have made it. But she did. Based on the odds, after having more than one third of her small intestine removed, she shouldn't be eating like a "normal" baby. She should be on intravenous feeds or tube feeds or at the very least, have an oral aversion. But she's not on TPN or eating through a G tube or anything. She's perfect. She's a miracle. And if Alaina could beat the odds, I was praying Annaleigh would too. I was praying Brooke and Joe would get a miracle of their own.

I found out last night that wouldn't be the case. Annaleigh's entire bowel is dead. She isn't going to make it.

I cannot begin to imagine what Brooke and Joe must be going through right now. I know how devastating it was just knowing there was a chance we could lose Alaina but to actually have to say goodbye to your child? It's unfathomable and my heart is breaking for them.

As I sit here snuggling my miracles extra tight, I am praying that Brooke and Joe can find the strength to make it through this. I am praying that their other little ones, Lily and Charlie, will keep thriving and will be home with their parents very soon. And I am praying that God has one more miracle to spare. Maybe Annaleigh can be the one who really beats the odds.

To let Brooke and Joe know you're praying for and thinking of them, please visit their blog Three Cheers for Babies.

To help prevent premature births, please donate to the March of Dimes.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful post!

Busted said...

I had no idea that Alaina had the same diagnosis. Thank you for sharing and spreading the word about Brooke and Joe and sweet Annaleigh.

Nancy said...

As a mother & soon to-be-grandmother, I could not hold back the tears as I read your blog & I, once again, was reminded of what a miracle Alaina was & is! If only everyone could be so blessed!

Carrie said...

Thinking of you all, my heart goes out to your friends and I will keep them in my prayers. Thank you for making me believe in miracles D. I love you all so much!!! And I am so proud of your courage!! Hug your girls extra tight every day as I know you will. xoxox Carrie

beth said...

hie! i just saw your post on the sits blog. welcome! i can't tell you how much this post just touched me. first of all, my sister's sister-in-law works with joe (whose blog you link to), so i have seen that blog before. second, reading your (and joe's) story makes me fill up. third, i just posted a story about my twin daughters on my blog and i said VERY sarcastically "count your blessings." your story just made me truly count my blessings because my girls were born at 36 weeks in perfect health and have been everyday since. thank you for putting that into perspective for me!